Rip
I recently lost my sweet Corgi that has been by my side for nine years. There is an imprint on my heart that will always be his and I have so many memories with him. The loss still stings, but he was so very loved. But, this post is not about him.
This post is about our other fur kid, Rip. Before he was my husband, my other half decided that he wanted another dog, which I had no objection to. Growing up, we always ended up with more than one dog at once so it was nothing to me. He was set on a heeler or a basset hound. I figured we would discuss and search, maybe even find someone we knew that had some puppies, and go pick them out a little while after we got married.
As usual with me, life had slightly different plans. A week or so before we got married, my husband came home with the cutest little 8-week-old blue heeler puppy. In the midst of the stress of finalizing the wedding and the changes of moving a husband in, now we were adding a puppy. I had not had a puppy in 7 years, I had forgotten what it was like. But when that little blue face licked my chin, it was all over. He was ours.
Hardy was always more my dog, because I had him longer than I have had my husband. Hardy and I went through and survived a lot together that many people probably do not even realize. He was the first dog that was truly all mine. And he had been an only child for the bulk of the 7 years. Needless to say, Rip was an adjustment. Where Hardy was turning into an "elderly statesman" as my aunt called him, Rip was a spry youngster, able to leap tall couches in a single bound. Where Hardy would lay beside you and take naps, Rip would lick attack you where you couldn't breathe. I have great love for both of them, but they were daylight and dark.
Hardy is gone now, and I am still finding reminders of him all over the place and I miss him every day. However, mine and Rip’s relationship has now changed. I have always loved Rip, but it was just different when Hardy was here. I have recently been reminded of how, while hyper and constantly on the move, intelligent Rip is. He catches on to things so quickly (other than “no nibbling on my chin”). It takes him no time to learn things, and he seems so eager to please. He is also the biggest cuddle bug. Hardy always liked to be where he could touch you, but Rip likes to “waller” you and have his whole body on you somehow. He also loves to be praised in any form; he is happy to make you happy. Whether it’s treats or just a pat, he eats it up. He does something every day to make me laugh and shake my head, but he is s lovable.
I hate to admit it, but I think for a while I took Rip for granted, and the relationship I have or could have with him. He has been there every day, and I think in my mind as more of a sidekick/little brother for our older boy. But now he has inherited the “kingdom.” He has his own personality and quirks, and I can’t wait to find out even more with him. I might try and train him for tricks, maybe even let him loose on some cows sometime. Through all the sadness and mourning, I am glad we have him. He may be a blue tornado, but he's our blue tornado.
